The Story of a Mom, a Wife a Small-Business-Owner-Hopeful (Happy Baby Designs) and a Craft Lover, trying to be present (not just exist) in my life with my children, my husband and myself. Follow along with me as I chronicle my crafting and business endeavors, my true life and some mommy moments along the way .


Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New Holiday Traditions

This year has been the first year where my husband and I have consciously started some new holiday traditions with our kids. Our kids are now 3 1/2 and 1 (almost 2) and it seems like the first year where they're both really getting in to the holidays.

So our first new tradition of the year is that we went shopping and let them each buy a new Christmas ornament to hang on the tree. They were so excited to get to pick just the right one and come home to find the perfect spot on the tree for it.

My son picked a race car ornament (of course).


And my daughter picked Winnie the Pooh.



My hope for this new tradition is that by the time they are moving out of the house (sniff, sniff) they will have a collection of ornaments to take with them to decorate their own first Christmas tree (someone please slow down time...please!). Each ornament will carry a special memory with it and whether they're near or far, they will always have a little bit of home with them during the holidays (ok, now I'm really crying!).

So how about you all? Did you start any new traditions this year? Or did you start new ones with your kids that you have loved and would share with us newbies?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I think we are on the same blogging path right now. The annual ornament post is on my blogging to do list. I love the photos of your kids with their new treasures! I can't tell you how much fun my kids have unpacking their special ornaments each year.

    Happy decorating!
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. we started one last year when my kids were 2 and 4. we gave them matching christmas pj's on christmas eve as a gift so they got to wear them to bed that night, and then when they woke to open presents they were in their matching pj's for pictures... already got the matching ones for this year! :) traditions are wonderful and always to be treasured. i think about these things because a long time from now when i am gone, i want my kids to remember the things we always did together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet idea. Several years ago my mom gave my sister and me the ornaments we selected and she selected for us as kids. I have them on my tree now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea to let the kids pick out the ornaments. Be sure to write it all down each year so they can laugh about it 20 years from now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely site. I am stopping by to invite you to come check out week 5 of Thrifty Thursdays. Happy New Year!

    Johnnie

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you guys! You all are the GREATEST! (And I love to reply to comments so make sure you have an email address attached to your Blogger Profile!)