The Story of a Mom, a Wife a Small-Business-Owner-Hopeful (Happy Baby Designs) and a Craft Lover, trying to be present (not just exist) in my life with my children, my husband and myself. Follow along with me as I chronicle my crafting and business endeavors, my true life and some mommy moments along the way .


Monday, February 14, 2011

Ruffle Embellishment on a T-shirt

Remember last week when I said I wanted to start making some dresses for my daughter? Well I decided to start out small and just embellish a plain shirt I bought on sale at Target (I think it was around $4 because it's long sleeve and they're already bringing out their summer stuff. Sure...because isn't everyone shopping for a swimsuit in February?). {Completely off topic sidenote: The other night I told my daughter I was putting a "plain" shirt on under her pj's. The next night she asked for her "airplane" shirt and it took me forever to make the connection. I love how literal their little minds are! Ok, back to the T-shirt}. With a few scraps of fabric, a "plain" T-shirt and about 30 minutes, I had this little beauty...


I just love how it turned out! I'm thinking about adding a couple of ruffles along the bottom, too, but I couldn't wait to show you my handiwork. It was so simple, it seems silly to even do a tutorial, but I'm going to do it anyway ;)

I wanted my ruffles to have a tiered look so I sewed them to overlap and I made each layer a little longer than the previous. I cut 3 strips of fabric, each at 8"x4", 10"x4" and 12"x4". I wanted my finished ruffles to be 4", 5" and 6" so I doubled their length to account for the gathering.



I folded each strip in half (right sides together) and sewed a straight stitch down the long side. Then I turned each "ruffle" and hand sewed a basting stitch. Then I pulled my basting stitch to create the "ruffle".


I had to play around a little bit with each of the ruffles to get the length and look I wanted. Then I laid them out on the shirt and started with the bottom ruffle, pinning it in place. Then I simply sewed it to the shirt with a straight stitch along the top. Because my basting stitch was so loose, I was able to just pull it out. You could use a stitch-ripper if you needed to.



Pin the next level, sew.



Pin the final level, sew. And here you have it!


I have some onesies I'm totally going to do this to for my shop and baby shower gifts! So the next time you see a "plain" T-shirt on sale, grab it! You could turn it in to something spectacular!


Linking up here:

Today's Creative Blog
Anything Related

Photobucket


Show and Tell Green
ILoveTrendyTreehousePolaroid


Transformation Thursday

HouseofHepworths

linkparty



5 comments:

  1. i love that shirt! that is such an easy way to dress up a shirt. on my ta-do list

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually really glad that you posted the tutorial. I've been wanting to play with ruffles, but I don't possess one of those fabulous "ruffle foots" for my sewing machine! This turned out adorable, and yes, add a ruffle at the bottom! -diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really cute. I love how a plain ol' t-shirt can go from drab to fab with this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so fun! I haven't been able to master the ruffle yet...argh!

    Thank you so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soo cute! Love the ruffles. I'd love for you to share this at I Heart Nap Time

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you guys! You all are the GREATEST! (And I love to reply to comments so make sure you have an email address attached to your Blogger Profile!)