The Story of a Mom, a Wife a Small-Business-Owner-Hopeful (Happy Baby Designs) and a Craft Lover, trying to be present (not just exist) in my life with my children, my husband and myself. Follow along with me as I chronicle my crafting and business endeavors, my true life and some mommy moments along the way .


Thursday, September 30, 2010

Play Kitchen Reveal...finally!

As you may recall, I gave you a little sneak peek of a project I have been working on this summer. For those of you that guessed it was a Play Kitchen, you were right! I have been obsessed with these play kitchens that I've been seeing all over blogland and knew I just had to make one for my kids.

So without further ado, here is the big reveal...

(I plan to paint the burners on the "stove", but I couldn't wait to show it to you so it's not exactly finished...yet!)

My daughter is testing out the oven...

We used a long metal drawer pull for the oven door handle.


The faucet started out as a brass mess, but with a little elbow grease and spray paint it was transformed.


I think the sink basin was a dog bowl in its past life.


We added a towel bar on the side for their tea towels.


And we put some hooks on the other side for pot holders, utensils, etc.


I made the curtain using a tension rod and some fabric that I bought at an estate sale years ago that I've been holding on to. Not only is it super cute, but my mom actually made my sister and I baby blankets out of this same fabric when we were kids!


So there's the kitchen. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how it turned out! I think it is way cuter than any plastic kitchen I could buy at the store. And it's even more special because my husband, dad and brother all helped me to make this kitchen for the kids.


But it didn't always start out so cute. Now I'll show you some of the Before pictures...


I found this nightstand on Craigslist for $10! It was the perfect size and I loved the legs and curvy detail. I have seen so many cute play kitchens out there, but mine was heavily inspired by this one by Kate over at oh write!. When I saw her kitchen I thought it looked like an old stove. It was those same details in my nightstand that sealed the deal for me. I knew it would be the perfect base for the kitchen. Oddly enough, the top was even laminate!

We simply took out the drawers and their "parts". We unscrewed the top and began the laborious task of priming, painting, taping off, painting some more, and so on, and so on...red takes a lot of coats to cover!

(I totally forgot to put a piece of cardboard under the cabinet so my driveway is now accented with red spray paint...oops!).

I found this horribly ugly and dirty faucet at our Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $4! I think the guy thought I was crazy for even paying that much, but I knew it had potential.

I cleaned it, took all of the parts apart and then primed it and spray painted it silver using Valspar Metallic spray paint. I did also coat the faucet with a clear top coat since I know it will get a lot of handling.

I don't have pictures of ever step (bad blogger!) but I also used the silver spray paint to paint the inside of the oven.

I found the towel bar and oven door handle at the ReStore as well, each for $2! The hooks I had on hand and the dog bowl was found at Goodwill for $.75.

I used cheap lumber from Home Depot to make the oven door and backsplash. I just had them cut the pieces to size and then attached the backsplash with screws and the oven door with hinges (that I already had). We bought a magnetic closure to attach to the oven door to keep it closed (I think that cost around $3).

So for the cost of some hardware, spray paint and wood, we were able to transform a $10 nightstand into a play kitchen that I know my kids will love for years to come!

Any of you tried your hand at making your own kitchen (real or play)?


Linking up to these fun parties...

toolsareforwomentoo
Making
The Girl Creative

mmm button
The DIY Show Off

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap  up           party!




Furniture Feature Fridays

29 comments:

  1. So adorable! I would have never thought to make that from a small set of drawers. I bet your daughter will treasure it for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! Hmmm....I have a couple old nightstands. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your play kitchen! The red is so cute! I love the fabric curtain on the bottom too. I also have a play kitchen linked to the Furniture Feature Friday party, check it out if you get a chance "Olivia's Play Kitchen". Nice work on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazing! I love the laminate top...what a fun little coincidence that this nightstand came with laminate! Love the fabric, too. I hope your kids enjoy their kitchen as much as my daughter has...I'm sure it will be a favorite for friends that come over as well. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so excited for two reasons! one, when you showed a glimpse of the fabric a while back, i guessed this is what you were making. so i am going to take a moment to pat myself on the back. ;) two- it is so freaking adorable!!!!! oh my gosh i love love love it! my daughter just said she wishes she had one like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Following you from New Friend Friday, and I'm so glad to have found your blog! Holy Moley! Fabulous stuff!

    Best,
    Krysten
    http://clickableparty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is oh so cute! I LOVE the red color and the fabric you used for the little curtain across the bottom. Looks fantastic... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    LOVE this-- I hope you consider sharing it at A Crafty Soiree-- linky party every Thursday at Yesterday on Tuesday.

    And... following you from Friendly Friday Follow. Would love for you to consider following me back. www.yesterdayontuesday.com
    Malia

    ReplyDelete
  9. How adorable is that! Very creative!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it!! I posted one that I did back in June for my niece and it definitely took awhile to complete.
    http://www.laforcebewithyou.com/2010/06/homemade-play-kitchen_23.html

    I used a dog bowl for the sink too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just amazing! What a great idea, and you did a beautiful job. They will LOVE IT! I just love that deep red color.

    Thanks for visiting Cranberry Morning. Fridays are usually travelogue days for me. Other than that, I have a pretty eclectic blog. :-) And my travel posts are of places I've been, not necessarily that I'm there now. But I love sharing the photos taken of a wonderful vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! D and C will have hours of fun playing in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute!!! I've been wanting to make one for my daughter for Christmas. I just haven't found the perfect piece yet .. you did a great job!! Love it!!!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  14. very adorable,,,Love the red! Much cuter than a plastic one and you can make it fit in with your home! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rebecca, I'm soooo glad I found your blog (through Judy's, Cranberry Morning). I'm not very crafty (I just cook!) but I love handcrafted things and THIS is fabulous! I see this being an heirloom for generations to come. Unlike a much more expensive, store-bought plastic thing. I'll be back to explore more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should love, love, love, it it is darling....Wish I had babies or grand babies!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is absolutely adorable!! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so adorable! This makes me regret spending a fortune on a store bought one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you did an awsome job!!! it is beautiful. I love the curtain, I can see why you love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable!! I'm giving you an award tomorrow at naptimecrafters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've put together a round up of some fun play kitchens on Craft Gossip today and included your project. :) You can see it here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-cool-play-kitchens/

    If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  22. The guideline viability of a private look that can help you generally keep, prepared yourself just as cause segments diet system just as to perform like endeavors similarly as with dishwashing.whirlpool washer t spinning fast

    ReplyDelete
  23. A pretty important functions of one's kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to accomplish related tasks including dishwashing.will vinegar kill tree roots in sewer line

    ReplyDelete
  24. so pleasant assortment never seen such uncommon things kitchen cloths. much obliged for sharing this data.whirlpool washer not spinning fast

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you guys! You all are the GREATEST! (And I love to reply to comments so make sure you have an email address attached to your Blogger Profile!)