The Story of a Mom, a Wife a Small-Business-Owner-Hopeful (Happy Baby Designs) and a Craft Lover, trying to be present (not just exist) in my life with my children, my husband and myself. Follow along with me as I chronicle my crafting and business endeavors, my true life and some mommy moments along the way .


Thursday, April 1, 2010

No-Fly-Away Tablecloth from a Shower Curtain

Every Spring I have high expectations of turning my backyard into the kind of outdoor living space you would see in Better Homes and Gardens. And every Spring I fall short of that goal (way short...like I don't even get started). However, this year I vowed it would be different. Now that my children both LOVE to be outside, I knew we would be spending A LOT of time out there and I wanted it to be a comfortable place to sit while they are running around picking dandelions and chasing butterflies.

We already had some nice patio furniture, but I wanted a little cafe set so we could eat dinner outside on occasion. So I picked up this little table at Target for $34.


Then I went in search of a cute tablecloth to add some fun color. Well let's just say I was very underwhelmed with the choices. I finally SETTLED for a blue one with white flowers, but it didn't have the punch of color I was looking for. Then, I caught a glimpse of the shower curtain aisle. I thought to myself, "what if I used a plastic shower curtain instead? It's plastic, it can handle being outside, and surely there will be more options than the three (boring) tablecloths I had to choose from." I was SO excited when I found this shower curtain!



This was exactly the fun punch of color I was hoping for! It was a little more expensive than the tablecloth, but once I saw it I knew it was PERFECT! I had to have it.

I had already decided I was brilliant when I had my TRUE STROKE OF GENIUS. I was thinking about what I would place on top of the table to weigh down the tablecloth so it wouldn't fly away. Then I thought, "what if I sew elastic around the bottom so it would keep itself in place without the need for something to weigh it down." It's sort of like a shower curtain cap for your table. See, genius, right? So I got to work.

My table has a diameter of 28". I decided to add 12" to the diameter, making my tablecloth diameter 40". Here's where you need to recall your high school geometry. Remember, the diameter is the measurement across the whole circle. The radius is the measurement from the center of the circle to the outside of the circle. This is the measurement you will need. For a 40" diameter, the radius is 20" (this seemed a lot harder in high school).

Now that you have that measurement, you need to tie a string to a pen or marker leaving 20" (or whatever your radius is) of slack. Lay out your shower curtain on a large table or the floor. It would be easier if you have someone to help you with this next step or you can just sort of wing it (like I did). Now, hold the end of your string with one hand and keeping the string tight, draw your circle. (I hope this makes sense, because it's really hard to explain but really easy to do). This will give you your circle. Make sure you like the image that will be the center because that's what will show up on your table top. Don't worry if you make a mistake, because it won't really show once you have your elastic in (if you look closely at the bottom left of my circle you'll notice my sharpie got a little off track but it doesn't show in the finished product).


Next I pinned about 1 1/2" casing around the entire tablecloth (no longer a shower curtain!). I'm sure if you're an expert sewer and you see my pinning job you'll be horrified, but I had never tried to sew around a circle before. And truly, this project is very forgiving so it doesn't really matter how sloppy the sewing job is.


Make sure when you're sewing that you leave an opening to feed your elastic through. I cut a "V" to make it easier to access the casing. Now just feed it through your sewing machine like any other project. If you notice your tablecloth is not moving on your sewing machine, it may be because the plastic is getting stuck on the automatic feeder. If this happens, just hold your tablecloth up with your left hand so it is up off the machine. This seems to alleviate the problem. I used an average-length straight stitch (number 2.5 stitch length on my machine).

Finally, it's time to feed your elastic through the casing. I started with a 3/8" elastic (because that's what I had) that was 72" in length. It's better to start with way more elastic than you will use so you can feed it all the way through and then pull it to the desired length. Pin one end of your elastic with a safety pin and beginning feeding it through the "V" you've cut in your casing. Once you've fed it all the way through to the other side, begin pulling your elastic and scrunching up your tablecloth to get the desired form. It really will look like a giant shower cap. Once you have the desired form, pin the 2 ends of the elastic together and do a dry run fitting on your table to make sure it fits properly. Once you have the right fit, cut off your extra elastic (I cut off 35") and sew the 2 ends together. Here's what mine looked like after I was finished with my elastic.


And here's what it looks like on my table...


So cute, right!?! It's sooooo much cuter than the plastic tablecloth I ALMOST settled for. And the best part is I don't have to keep anything on the table to weigh it down because it's not going anywhere!


I absolutely LOVE how this project turned out! Now I'm more motivated than ever to make my backyard oasis a reality! Stay tuned for more progress...Better Homes and Gardens, here I come!


Linked to:

Photobucket

Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

Photobucket







Trash to Treasure Tuesday

Toot Your Horn Tuesday








giveaways

Get your craft on Thurs.



Decor Mamma








33 comments:

  1. Oh that is a GREAT idea! Kinda looks like a giant shower cap down on the floor - made me giggle thinking about how big a head would have to be, lol! I like this and wish I'd thought of it for my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's amazing! i have a small rectangular table that looks like that (also from target), and have been thinking about getting a little bistro set for the balcony. if i do, i'm DEFINITELY going to try this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! "It's sort of like a shower curtain cap for your table" gave me visions of my Grandmas shower cap. That is until I saw your finished product. So cute! I will have to give that a try.
    Found you through The Shabby Nest, and I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! Very good idea, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this idea. i'll be posting one of my DIY projects soon which is very similiar to this...again....great minds thinnk alike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Great job.

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another wonderful party!!

    Please stop by next week I am having guest over each day and I would love for you to tell them HI!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very good job and way sassy and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A teflon foot or a piece of tissue paper underneath the tablecloth would have solved the problem with the tablecloth not feeding through the sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks so much for the great idea of using a shower curtain for an outdoor tablecloth. duh! why didn't i think of that? i agree with you that the plastic tablecloth choices usually leave a lot to be desired. great job on your project...so summery and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job! I love this idea! Thanks for sharing it!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! That turned out awesome!!! Thanks for linking up to my link party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous idea! Seriously genius, might make ya famous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now this I've never seen before, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awesome! There are so many cute shower curtains out there, you picked one of 'em! Found you at Tip Junkie, glad you linked up

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! I never would have thought to use a shower curtain as a tablecloth! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! It's cute too!
    ☺ Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea. I love how your project turned out too! Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! I was just reading your post and thinking, "duh...why hasn't anyone thought of this before?!? And why hasn't anyone marketed it yet?!? " You may be on to something. ;) Great job!

    I would love for you to check out my site for a spring block give away! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com
    Have a great afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic idea! I love it- it turned out really cute.

    Thank you for linking up to Talented Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh -- what a difference. You know I have that very same table and I've never even thought about putting a table cloth on it. Then when I saw the finished project, I said to myself, "OH MY GOSH". I love it! Thank you for linking to the Boardwalk Bragfest and sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous idea!!! Can't wait to try this myself!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a great idea. I too have to find a tablecloth for my outside table and now I know where to look.
    Found you at Anti-procrastination Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is adorable (not to mention functional)! Thanks for sharing such a great idea!
    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is such a fabulous idea, I love it! Thanks so much for adding this to the One Pretty Thing Flickr pool. I'll be linking in tomorrow's Weekend Roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Greetings from Juneau, Alaska!
    This is a wonderful idea especially for here where we get our far share of wind and rain. I can't wait to make them for our tables. Our kids have a small table and chairs by their trampoline. I think I'll let them pick the shower curtain for that one.
    Have a great week!:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. fantastic. I've seen a tute similar to this before, but my problem is that I have a sqaure table. And I can't figure out how to do something like this for a square. Any tips/ideas? The shower curtain though, I had NOT seen that and that is by far one of the most brilliant hacks ever! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Love this tutorial, very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it! I linked to it on http://thedabblingcrafter.blogspot.com. I have a terribly ugly white outdoor table that I had pretty much given up on and was going to throw away. This project gives me a way to make it pretty again!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks, Krista Marie for linking on your site. You should definitely try this to salvage your table! I'd love to see pictures if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm trying to make a cover for my rectangular dining room table. I googled a tutorial and came across yours. Great idea! I'm struggling with the elastic that I'm using though. I don't think it's "stretchy" enough. I thought it'd work to use what I already had (package states it's for knits), but what type of elastic did you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Linda - I actually just used some elastic I had around the house, too. And I think it was also for knits. It was pretty thin (3/8") so I wasn't sure if it was going to be strong enough, but it has held up great! It was plenty stretchy, too. It doesn't seem like it's too stretchy when you have it pulled taught, as your feeding it through. But once the 2 ends are secured together, it bounces back in to place nicely. Good luck and let me know if you make one!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you guys! You all are the GREATEST! (And I love to reply to comments so make sure you have an email address attached to your Blogger Profile!)