The Story of a Mom, a Wife a Small-Business-Owner-Hopeful (Happy Baby Designs) and a Craft Lover, trying to be present (not just exist) in my life with my children, my husband and myself. Follow along with me as I chronicle my crafting and business endeavors, my true life and some mommy moments along the way .


Sunday, June 20, 2010

DIY Fabric Wall Art

I saw this post over at Blue Cricket Design a while ago and I bookmarked it, not sure how/when/where I was going to use this idea, but I loved it! I am such a fabric addict and I loved the idea of displaying fabric on my walls.

I'm working on a living room/dining room makeover (remember this lamp, and this fabric rack, and even more lamps). I needed some big artwork to fill up the wall above my couch. I knew this wall art would be the perfect way to add color and texture...on a budget.

I found this tablecloth at Target that was marked down to $15.38. That might seem a little steep, but it's HUGE (60"x104"). I still have a TON of it leftover for future projects.


I went to Lowe's and found some pressboard that was 2" x 1" x 16' for $5.43. I had them cut 8 pieces at 20" each. Then I brought it home and using pilot holes, I secured each piece of wood together with screws. Here's what the frames looked like once they were put together.



Then I cut out my fabric, laying it out first, making sure the design I wanted would be centered in the frame. I ironed my fabric and then began stapling it to the frame. Just be sure to stretch it really tight when you staple it.



I trimmed the excess fabric and voila! Two large pieces of wall art for less than $10 each!



I haven't finished stapling the other canvas yet, so I guess you'll just have to wait for the final living room/dining room makeover reveal to see how it turns out ;)


Linking to these fun parties:

Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!


Decor Mamma

giveaways

HookingupwithHoH
Photobucket

Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden
Photobucket
Show and Tell Green
CreativeShareWednesdays


All Thingz Related
Visit thecsiproject.com
toolsareforwomentoo
mmm button
Making

Keeping It Simple

The Girl Creative

Photobucket

34 comments:

  1. What a clever idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea- that you could customize for any style or room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new wall art is really pretty. I wouldn't have thought to make my own frames. I did something similar, but I used art canvas from the craft store. Your method would have been much cheaper. Good luck with your redo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever are you!! love the fabric choice as well... visiting from so very cheri
    justsewsassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure is a great idea! :) Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! That Fabric table cloth looks amazing! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, Im dying to try this now! I followed you through Motivate Me Monday. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabric is super cute! love the inexpensive frame and peppy artwork! happy monday : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is soooo cute!!! Great Idea!!! Thanks for posting it!!! I am trying to think about where I would like to put some in my house!!! -Micah-

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fabric on walls. Yours looks terrific. Love that print!

    Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh very cute! I've got a canvas lying around waiting for inspiration... I think I've found it!

    Found you on The Girl Creative :)

    Katie P
    Food, Wine, & Mod Podge

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great solution to acheive that very expensive wallpaper with flowering branches and birds look that is all over now! Thanks for showing us on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recognized that fabric and had to take a peek!! I bought the same tablecloths and used them as curtains on my screened in porch! (except I painted the yellow birds red) I may have a little left over, I think I may use your idea!!!! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, now I know what to do for art pieces beside my china cupboard! Thanks for the inspiration! And I love the red walls! In my opinion, every house should have red walls!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! What a great idea, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a great idea. Thanks so much for posting to the party. I will add this to my favs list.
    Be sure to check out the DIY Club inc.com site We have 3 new sponsors. I would love to have you enter a project.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! Finally became a follower :o)

    I LOVE this idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That turned out really cute!! I'm a fabric freak myself! Loooove fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful and simple idea. The tablecloth is the cutest fabric. I would love for you to add this to my Fabric Fun Thursday party which will be up later tonight :).

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great project. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. awesome!!! thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks awesome! I love it... gave me some ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful job! I'm ♥ing it! Especially the low price part. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your birdies! So sweet!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh!!! This is SUCH a great idea. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! I found you over at fingerprints on the fridge and I'm so glad I did, seriously. I HAVE to try this project out. It's so cheap and no one would ever know by looking at it...now that's my kinda project!

    I'm a very happy new follower : ). Have a great weekend, friend!
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  28. very cool, will have to try this one of these days!!! Maybe when the boys are grown!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it! It's beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to hear from you guys! You all are the GREATEST! (And I love to reply to comments so make sure you have an email address attached to your Blogger Profile!)